Full Job Description
Your team responsibilities
MSCI has an opening for an Executive Director for Applications Platform, reporting into the Head of ESG Engineering. You and your team will be responsible for critical components which support our ESG product line. The systems under your responsibility will be amongst the most mission critical of MSCI. They require a strong technology expertise and a strong sense of enterprise system design, state of the art scalability, reliability, and innovation in emerging cloud technologies and data science.
MSCI is undergoing a massive engineering transformation, with the recent announcement of our Investment Solutions as a Service offering. This announcement is the cultivation of many different efforts, all of which require a hands-on leader who has the ability to be tactical and strategic when looking at our architecture, feature development, and critical engineering initiatives (e.g. leveraging the cloud). This leader must be a change agent, who is able and deeply dive in and identify what needs to be changed, how it should be changed, and then drive that change across your team, your peers, and the company.
The immediate opening is for a team which powers our applications platform. The leader will need to understand large scale distributed systems and be familiar with the latest open source and cloud technologies to help transform our existing product lines into the future “as a Service” offering; this includes REST based and messaging based architectures, self-healing systems, geo scale and redundancy, etc.
In your role, you will need to establish close cross-functional partnerships with the MSCI global leaders, including but not limited to our product, research, operational and engineering organizations. Your understanding what we do beyond the technology aspects, through the lens of our operations, research, program and product management organizations will enable you to add significant value.
What we will offer you: Depending on your location of your role, you can expect…
- Competitive fixed and variable compensation, holiday/vacation allowance and retirement savings plans/pensions
- A wide range of benefits including – healthcare, dental plans, risk insurances and (location dependent) – cycle-to-work schemes, gym benefits, retail discounts
- A hybrid work environment, for the vast majority of employees, offering a more progressive way of working to give you the flexibility, accountability, and responsibility to empower you to perform at your very best. At the center of this way of working is a culture which is built on a strong foundation of trust. We trust our people and they trust our organization’s leaders to support them.
- An inclusive and performance driven culture where you are empowered to maximize your potential in an environment where all individuals are respected and encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work
- A purposeful approach to Wellbeing to provide you with all the resources you need to be your best at work and in your personal life. Our Here For You Employee Assistance Program provides confidential emotional support with local experts, financial and legal advice in a wide range of issues as well as access to online information, resources and tools. All the services are available for our employees free of charge.
Your key responsibilities
- Providing overall strategy and technology direction for the development of applications supporting the firm’s solutions
- Strategic planning for all product development efforts to include the subsequent testing, release and production environment needs
- Leading and enhancing our agile methodology for the design, development, test and release of our products and features while coordinating with internal development groups worldwide.
- Staying abreast of new technologies and challenged to deliver software-as-a-service solutions with a solid expertise in current technologies, platforms, and standards.
- Participating in the strategic business and product planning process
- Being actively engaged in setting technology standards that impact the company and its offerings, across the full stack.
- Being an active spokesperson and evangelist both internally and externally by communicating and promoting the company’s technology vision and solutions
- Ensuring the knowledge sharing of engineering best practices across departments; and developing and monitoring technical standards to ensure adherence to them.
- Hiring and retaining top technology talent able to understand business requirements and turn them into software solutions.
- Developing loyalty and commitment among colleagues by articulating an appealing vision for the future, communicating high expectations, developing and mentoring direct reports and setting an example in one’s own behavior.
Your skills and experience that will help you excel
- Prior senior Software leadership roles in product or application development and engineering for high growth companies
- Experience with cloud platforms, preferably Azure.
- Experience with multiple languages including Java, Python, and C/C++/C#
- Ability to dive into details, hands on technologist with strong core computer science fundamentals.
- Proven leadership of large-scale distributed software teams that have delivered great products on deadline
- Proven ability to recruit the best and brightest developers and provide them with a vision and working environment to develop world-class applications while instituting compelling performance measurements that continually drive transparency and improved performance
- Excellent communication skills, strong team player, and the ability to work cross functionally
- Experience in a modern iterative software development methodology
- Experience with globally distributed teams and business partners
- Experience in building and maintaining applications that are mission critical for customers
- M.S. in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related engineering field
- 15+ years of software engineering experience
- Leadership record having created results oriented and energized teams.
How we’ll support you
- Coaching, support and encouragement from experts in your team
- Access to a wide range of learning opportunities to support your growth and development
- Customizable learning journeys to help you navigate your professional development
- Transparent performance-based compensation schemes
- Employee Resource Groups such as MSCI Pride, Black Leadership Network, Women’s Leadership Forum, Women in Tech, Asian Support Network, All Abilities and Climate Action Groups.
About MSCI and our teams
MSCI is a leading provider of critical decision support tools and services for the global investment community. With over 50 years of expertise in research, data and technology, we power better investment decisions by enabling clients to understand and analyze key drivers of risk and return and confidently build more effective portfolios. We create industry-leading research-enhanced solutions that clients use to gain insight into and improve transparency across the investment process.
Our values define the working environment we strive to create. We are inclusive, we champion bold ideas, we always pursue excellence, and always act with integrity. Personal accountability and responsibility are key to success, and we always work as a team to remain client centric.
At MSCI diversity is at our core and inclusion defines our culture. Our people are empowered to maximize their potential in an environment where all individuals are respected and encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work. We work, learn and grow together and we are committed to hiring and promoting qualified women, ethnic minorities and members of the LGBT+ community candidates, who have historically been underrepresented in financial services.
To learn more about life at MSCI please visit https://careers.msci.com or follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Glassdoor.
To all recruitment agencies : MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.