Indeed’s salary guide
- Not provided by employer
- $74.8K – $94.8K a year is Indeed’s estimated salary for this role in Waltham, MA.
Full Job Description
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
Are you looking to join a growing business? Could you be part of a global team focused on developing a dynamic product range? If the answer is yes, read on!
As our team continues to grow in protein development, we now need a Protein Engineering Scientist to join our team in Waltham, MA. The role predominantly involves the rational design of protein constructs and optimization of the expression strategy. This role will apply bioinformatic tools and protein structural modelling techniques to design a viable strategy for high-quality protein production. The Protein Science group in Waltham is part of a larger global team and therefore good communication with managers and the larger team is essential.
Roles & responsibilities
- Implement state of the art bioinformatics tools, structural modelling and structure-based rational design approaches to improve functional and biophysical properties of proteins.
- Design and conduct experiments to express, purify and characterize protein constructs.
- Conduct day-to-day problem solving, work prioritization, and co-ordination across the team and other groups to ensure project deadlines are met.
- Interpret and present data and findings in internal project meetings.
- Communicate efficiently and represent Protein Sciences in cross-functional team meetings.
- Present results and project assessments to Senior Management.
You will have a Masters and 4 years experience or PhD with 2 years experience in an industrial or commercial environment. Your technical experience will include construct design, protein expression, purification, and characterization. You have experience with computational optimization of protein expression and construct design and proficiency in computational structural biology skills such as protein structural prediction/homology modelling, and biophysical characterization.
You have a strong understanding of protein structure and biochemistry in the context of antigen/protein design and characterization along with expertise in protein analytics, including HPLC and LC-MS. It would be great if you have experience with protein structure software to allow protein modelling, visualization, and structural optimization along with Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, Perl, R).
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximizing productivity and innovation at work while reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible benefits package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased paid time off accrual over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.
Effective January 1, 2022, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Abcam. Employees with a sincerely held religious belief and/or disability impacting their ability to obtain the COVID vaccine can request a reasonable accommodation.