Indeed’s salary guide
- Not provided by employer
- $63.2K – $80K a year is Indeed’s estimated salary for this role in San Francisco, CA.
Full Job Description
When it comes to GLIDE Memorial Church, finding the historic prophetic, racial and social justice thread, and articulating it in contemporary and relevant ways are paramount to sharing this book, chapter, and verse of our story. This team member oversees the communication, media, and marketing needs of the church.
The Church Communications Specialist will be the lead collaborative partner in our world-renowned Sunday worship experience, “Sunday Celebration.” Representing the Church Office Team, the Church Communications Specialist will help adapt our story for all internal and external partners. This individual will consistently articulate, enable and fulfill GLIDE Memorial Church’s mission, vision, values and statement of faith. This individual will be a creative, innovative, strategic thinker and a results-driven team leader and project manager. In order for GLIDE Memorial Church to establish a distinct and consistent voice—and to stabilize and maintain its growth momentum—it is essential that The Church Communications Specialist can move the church’s story from the “Stabilize” chapter of our transition, to our “Evolving,” chapter of our present. They must have a clear vision for why, what and how the church should communicate the story.
This position’s biggest responsibilities are ensuring that our congregation feels seen, heard, and connected in both the analog and the digital church communications. While making sure that people who discover our church’s website, social media or other digital platforms have a positive experience, The Church Communications Specialist weaves a connection and an understanding of the church’s culture and vision with members, congregation and visitors online and in-person. This position collaborates heavily with GLIDE’s Communications team to ensure strategies and stories are shared and aligned. The work week for this position is generally Saturday through Wednesday and requires flexibility to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties can be assigned, and the duties and responsibilities of the job are subject to change without notice.
- Work with church and ministry leaders to develop communications processes and define priorities to create an environment in which messages can be communicated clearly, creatively and effectively.
- Work with church, ministry leaders and communications team to define, develop and effectively communicate messages to church-wide and specific audiences.
- Create, organize, plan and implement effective communications messages and strategies to church and community audiences. The individual will support church and ministry leaders in conveying their vision and communications priorities to appropriate audiences.
- Work with church and ministry leaders to develop communications messages to reach those not currently associated with the church.
- Facilitate proactive communications ideas, calendaring, and church-wide and ministry-specific initiatives.
- Create and implement a strategy for becoming more visible in the church and wider community.
- Develop and facilitate a strategy for church platforms and social media channels.
- Govern all church communication, both print and digital.
- Oversee church platforms like a e-news, podcast, and/or church app
- Maintain and update the website on a regular basis and serve as the Webmaster for church’s website.
- Solicit information from church and ministry leaders to organize and plan communications messages in a timely manner.
- Serve as project coordinator to keep communications requests on time and on budget.
- Keep ears open to stories of life-change within the church. Develop ways to creatively communicate those stories via video, interviews, newsletter, eNews, etc.
- Serve as the “eyes” for all things print and electronic, looking for clear communication, brand presence and consistency.
- Write and edit communications messages for use in various mediums and audiences.
- Create and constantly fine-tune a process to collect visitor information
- Cultivate, lead and manage a team of communications ministry volunteers (writers, photographers, designers, etc.).
- Manage the use or creation of design assets.
- Intern (s)
- Must be collaborative, creative, show design initiative and innovation, be able to meet deadlines,), and have a keen eye for detail and editorial/visual design care.
- Have proven leadership experience.
- Holds a clear vision.
- Has the ability to work effectively across GLIDE Foundation Communications and Fund Development departments as well as GLIDE’s Social Service and Social Justice Programs.
- Demonstrates a commitment to learning about faith-based communications, while working respectfully with people different from themselves;
- Commitment to the mission, values, and philosophy of GLIDE and GLIDE Memorial Church.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BA degree and 3+ years’ experience driving strategic communications preferred, ideally in a nonprofit environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Strong writing and editing skills and familiarity with the major style manuals;
- Experience in producing, analyzing and interpreting information and data;
- Basic graphic design skills and ability to create branded media collateral (photos, videos) desired.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Exceptional Communication and Listening Skills.
- Ability to articulate, across platforms and audience, GLIDE Church values.
- Advocate for the church’s story in the GLIDE Foundation’s overall communications and fund development strategy.
- Speak through visual art and production.
- Has the ability to reduce large amounts of information to concise points and effectively communicate the church’s mission, goals and objectives to internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven writing and editing skills marked by clear and compelling proposals, reports, and other communications.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical functions
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.),WordPress or equivalent content management system (CMS), HTML, Microsoft Publisher, Media Shout, and ability to work on Mac and PC platforms (Word/Pages, Excel/Numbers, PowerPoint/Keynote). Photography skills a plus.
- Proficiency with recording, projecting, streaming through various platforms: Ecamm, Zoom, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Ability to make use of qualitative test marketing and research to effectively reach our target audiences.
The physical demands described here is representative of that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to see details of objects at close range;
- Ability to hear within normal range, and communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking, including a diverse population;
- Ability to use standard office equipment, and access, input and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to use keyboard with manual and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions efficiently for extended periods of time;
- Requires physical ability to sit and keyboard for long periods of time (stationed at computer 75% of work time);
- This person must take frequent short breaks, integrate stretching into her/his daily duties to avoid musculoskeletal disorders;
- Activities that occur frequently are: standing, walking and handling. Activities that occur occasionally are: climbing staircases. Activities that occur infrequently are: bending, squatting, crouching, kneeling, twisting, reaching straight, above, and below shoulder level with both shoulders individually or at the same time, carrying and lifting up to 25 pounds;
- Ability to move about. Will come and go from the work area repeatedly throughout the day. Ability to move quickly to address emergency or potentially dangerous situations.
The work environment described here is representative of that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fast paced, with frequent interruptions, demanding, social services office environment;
- Noise level is moderate to noisy and lighting is conducive to completion of work;
- The employee may be exposed to air borne pathogens;
- GLIDE’s buildings are located in the Tenderloin. Due to our surroundings, it is important to always be aware of what’s going on around you while walking around the neighborhood. GLIDE maintains an “open door” policy to the community and its clients, who frequently enter and leave the building.
GLIDE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At GLIDE, all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We are committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. People of color, differently-abled people, and LGBT persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume for immediate consideration. Help us get to know you by including a note about yourself, plus any additional info that might be relevant!