First Look Media
$20 an hour
Full Job Description
The Intercept is seeking candidates interested in investigative journalism and digital publishing for a three-month spring editorial fellowship. The Editorial Fellow will work closely with Intercept reporters, editors, researchers, our visual and audio teams, digital security staff, and lawyers. This program is aimed at early-career journalists who want hands-on experience in a mission-driven nonprofit newsroom. While fellows will predominantly work with our fact-checking and audience engagement departments, they will also be immersed in our newsroom for the term of the program.
Duties may also include filing records requests, investigative techniques, reporting, web production, photo editing, and video research. While this is not a writing position, fellows may pitch story ideas to editors.
- Fact-check articles and videos
- Assist research team in searching public records and databases, and filing record requests
- Work with the audience engagement team to promote our journalism on social media
- Assist with various aspects of digital production and promotion of The Intercept’s journalism
Background & Qualifications:
- Strong interest in news reporting and analysis
- Willingness to explore and learn about various roles within a digital newsroom, including editing, reporting, audience engagement, and news research
- Ability to discern reliability of information found on the internet
- Passion for exploring all aspects of journalism, whether editing, reporting, or research
- Detail-oriented and adept at writing for social media
- Extremely organized, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Prior fact-checking and research experience preferred, but not essential
- Familiarity with popular social media platforms, like Twitter and Instagram, is helpful
- Working knowledge of AP Style is helpful
- Commitment to The Intercept’s journalistic mission
To apply, submit a résumé and a cover letter that explains why you want to work for The Intercept, what writers or stories you follow, and what you hope to get out of the fellowship.
The fellowship is five days a week, $20/hour for 12 weeks beginning in early March. The application deadline is February 5.
This is a paid, temporary position and not eligible for benefits.
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer-people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.